Interrupted

I’m not the best person to be around in the morning. I just don’t do mornings very well. Although, as I’ve gotten older, and having the responsibility of getting my daughter off to school at a certain time, I am better at “doing mornings.”

I do like to have some space and a shower before my first conversation. On a good day, I read, shower, and then wake up my daughter.

I was having one of those good days, when a knock on the door interrupted my routine. I was in the middle of reading and hadn’t had my shower yet. The interruption pushed the shower off and it soon became a struggle for me to even get it done, and get Sarrah ready and get going for the day.

I had a long list of things to do that day and the interruption just didn’t fit in or sit right with me MOST of the day.

Right now, in our women’s Bible study we are learning about a man named Jonah. He was interrupted in a huge way. And that interruption didn’t sit right with him at all and he took off because…he didn’t WANT to be INTERRUPTED.

Well, if you skip to the end of the book, it tells how all of that got resolved between God and Jonah. And the interruption ended up being really good. It showed God’s love, mercy, and forgiveness to lost people.

I remember having an interruption of my own a few years ago. It wasn’t as drastic as what Jonah faced, but I didn’t want to do it.

I had started this blog, Picket Fences, solely for the purpose of marketing the book, “Like A Bird Wanders.” One thing you learn at a writer’s conference is, to build your platform, and one way to do it is, to do a blog. So I did the blog and I also started working on some marketing on another book of mine that will be coming out.

Well, then I started having fun blogging about some things that God was doing in my life. I was going through a really tough time and God was showing up all over the place with miracles or encouragement. So, I shared them.

Then one day, God did something amazing in my life and I didn’t want to share it on my blog, although I felt I was supposed to share the story. And I will admit to everyone, I didn’t want to share it because of my pride.

I couldn’t get off my mind that I was to share this story, but I didn’t want to tell the whole world about it…I was miserable.

Well, a few nights later, I was at a meeting. I told the ladies there, the story of the amazing thing God had done in my life. It was a small group of women I had grown to trust and so I felt safe sharing the story.  And now that I shared it…well, maybe I don’t have to blog it, right?

Wrong, the first thing out of one of their mouths was, “You should put that on your blog.”

I shrank back in my chair. I admitted they were right, but I didn’t want to.

With kind encouraging words, I soon realized the value of obeying and getting the story out. They promised to pray for me and I was to update them the following week.

When I went home that night, I got out my computer. I didn’t need a week. (Groan, groan) I just needed to get it over with, so I put my hands on the keys and punched in the story, and then let God do the rest.

Well, the next night we had Bible study and the ladies from the night before were there. They were happy and surprised that I had gone home and wrote the blog. They gave me lots of loving encouragement.

But then so did God. I was at the snack table filling up my plate and I overheard a lady talking about a blog that had touched her. The person next to her pointed to me and said, “She’s the one who wrote that blog.”

After speaking with her for a minute, I thought, I guess it was worth writing it even though my pride took a humungous beating.

But God wasn’t done with me yet. At the end of Bible study, a special lady I pray for a lot and truly love, came over to me, she let me know how the blog that day had helped a certain area of faith in her life.

Tears came to my eyes. I was humbled. I realized my blog wasn’t all about marketing or telling the fun things God did in my life. God had used my love for Him and my love to tell a story to touch someone I really care about.

So, even though it can be hard to tell about a failure, or an area where I lack faith, but God came through, or just something in my life I’d rather keep quiet about, I know it’s better to let God interrupt and do His thing with me.

Interruptions can be really hard, but it’s what God does with the interruptions that can be really good.

Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” (NLT)

He created us to do GOOD things. And in Psalms 139 it tells us how He knit us together in our mom’s womb and knows our days.

So if He is allowing interruptions into our lives, why do we worry, when He is the one who knows everything about us and the person sitting next to us?

Interruptions can come in many ways. Have you been interrupted lately?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

He Chose You To Love You