Things That Are Good In A Tough Day

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brother, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right; whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things. NIV

I was reading Philippians this week and came across this verse. I remember this verse from when I first began memorizing scripture and learning to apply it to my life.

I had a new job. Newly trained and moved over with my boss to his new office. I soon discovered pretty much everything I had learned in training was not applicable to what I would do at the new place.

On top of that my boss wasn’t the easiest person to work with, at all. He was highly intelligent, quick on his feet and quick to react, very work driven and spoke directions in quick mumbled tones before he would turn and leave to do what was next on his list.

Many times after he had left I would go over and over what I thought he had said to me in his mumbled tones. He had made it clear to pay attention because he didn’t have time to go over things again and again. It made it a bit nerve racking when I could hardly understand him.

The situation was hard. Many times I wanted to grab my purse and say, “Adios.” And his actions would bug me throughout the day. Except on the days where, I would repeat this verse over and over in my head, and not meditate on his negativity, but rather on good things, like the challenge the job held. And how much I actually enjoyed what I was doing in spite of how difficult it was to relate to my boss.

One day after much prayer and crying in frustration, I brought a mini tape recorder to work and every time he opened his mouth, I clicked it on. I wasn’t sure how he was going to respond to me doing this, but I didn’t care. Then I listened to it over and over again, writing everything down, to figure out exactly what he wanted so I could do it correctly without a lot of questions. If I had questions after listening to the recorder I would approach him.

I found he respected the effort I did by bringing the recorder and he slowed down a bit for me and started being open to my questions. Pretty soon I didn’t need the recorder I could understand him and we started having a pretty good working relationship.

After other’s were hired on in the office he would tell them to follow the example that I did and get a recorder and write everything down. He would do the same mumbling and running out the door tactic he did with me but, I was able to understand him, so I was able to help them out.

At the time, this verse helped me, to not focus on just the bad thing going on in my day. It helped me to see the good in the midst of a troubled situation.
Reading Philippians this week reminded me, when a day is tough and negative stuff is just right in my face, take a look around and meditate on the things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable and excellent or praiseworthy.

It’s an easier way to get through a tough day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

He Chose You To Love You

WHAT IF?