Remember Them

My dad’s younger brother, Bobby, was a marine in the Vietnam War. Unfortunately, he didn’t make it home. He died the day before my sister’s eleventh birthday, on October, 26, 1965, at the age of 18, fighting for the freedom of others.

Even though my memories aren’t clear of that day, my heart still remembers the news. And since that day, I’ve always believed my Uncle Bobby to be a hero.

It affected my family, like it affects the millions of Americans who lose someone in a war. As I’ve grown older I’ve been able to hear how it affected my grandparents, when they were informed of the news their son had died, and how it affected my parents, older sister and my cousins.

About six years ago, my sister went to Washington D.C and she went to the Vietnam Veteran Memorial. It was a very emotional time for her to see our Uncle’s name on the wall.

The next year, my parents went to Washington D.C. with my brother and his family and they were able to see my Uncle Bobby’s name on the Memorial.

The Korean War memorial held a special interest also, since my dad’s older brother fought in that war. He fortunately made it home and lives near us. My dad is very close to his brothers. My Uncles, whether they live close or far away, always play a big part in my life.

The very next year, I made the trip with my sister, and I had the opportunity to see the Memorial wall also. I couldn’t believe how many names there were on that wall. My sister searched for a few minutes and then there was my Uncle Bobby’s name. It is hard to describe, the feeling of loss, mixed with the feeling of pride, when I saw his name.

When you lose someone, the desire to have one more moment with them is strong. I have some great Uncles who I really love and I’ve had some wonderful moments with them. However, I often wonder what my life would have been like if Uncle Bobby could’ve been a part of it, all these years?

Those questions run through my mind sometimes, but since that is not possible the memories, though faint, become very sweet.

Freedom isn’t something to take for granted. This freedom we have comes with a price. Someone always seems to be lurking about trying to steal it from another person. And our Military Service personnel fight hard to protect it. Behind the names and titles on the memorials is a family missing a son or daughter, brother or sister, nephew or niece, uncle or aunt, dad or mom, husband or wife, or grandchildren.

For me personally my husband, dad, brother, uncles, brothers-in-law and few friends have served in the armed forces. Today, I remember you along with many others, with heartfelt thanks for fighting or being willing to fight for the freedom that I have today.

May God, who gives us freedom through His Son, Jesus, be with you and bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

He Chose You To Love You