Name Tags

Usually when I go to an event I am handed a name tag to wear. Sometimes I’m handed a pen and told to write my name down and then I put the sticker on my shirt.

My husband and I were having a discussion about when we introduce ourselves to people and say our name, sometimes we are quick to blurt out our label. Such as,“Hi, I’m Linda. I’m having a bad hair day.” Or “My dress is tight.” Or “I don’t feel comfortable.”

Labels can become our identity. I’m divorced, out of work, drive a hot car, drive a beat up car, live in a big house, live in a small house, wear expensive clothes, shop Goodwill, yell at my kids, had an abortion, have a college degree, don’t have a college degree.

If you were handed a pen, what would you write down on the name tag. What is your description of you?

The other day, I was reading my favorite book, and it said that we are loved. John 3:16. Is that my first description of myself?

I am loved.

It also said I was fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14. When I look in the mirror do I believe that?

I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

I read about how I am so loved that when I failed, my failures were taken care of. Romans 5:8.

I am taken care of.

I read along and discovered that no matter what comes up in life, God has equipped me to handle it. Philippians 4:13.

I am equipped.

It also said that God put a seal of the Holy Spirit on me. Ephesians 1:13 – 14.

I am sealed.

Are these the labels I am quick to say, that is who I am? Are these the labels you are quick to say?

Spending time in the Bible is like sitting at Jesus feet, being able to hear His love letter to us. The more time I spend listening and receiving, the more I will erase the negative labels I may wear and replace them with the loving labels of God. And there are plenty of loving things God has to say to His children in His Word.

So what label are you wearing today?

And what label would God put on you to wear today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

He Chose You To Love You