IT'S ALL A MATTER OF PERSPECTIVE

One Saturday morning, while taking my shower, my daughter came into the bathroom and started drying her hair.

"Please don't do that in here. It's blowing cold air all around." I complained.

She stepped outside of the bathroom leaving the door open. Still, the breeze was making my back cold. One of my pet peeves is being interrupted or the bathroom door opening and closing while I'm taking a shower making cold air blow around.

I was about to complain some more when a thought went through my mind. It's all a matter of perspective.

Hmm.

Another thought, if Saeed was freed from that awful prison in the mid-east, at home, taking a shower, and his kids barged into the bathroom, he'd probably be so happy he was home with his family...a cold draft in the shower would most likely be no big deal.

I said all of this to my daughter who agreed with me.

I also went on to say, how many things do we make a big deal out of when really it's nothing, if we put it in the right perspective?

What may be a pain today might be a longed for blessing tomorrow.

We never know when the tide will turn and things we take for granted may not be there for us so readily.

At church the following Sunday, the Pastor was telling an interesting story about bringing the Jesus movie to people in other countries where the Taliban is active. When bringing the movie and equipment through customs, they have experienced very expensive charges or have had their things confiscated.

One time, while on the plane, the missionaries asked God to allow their things through customs, without charges or other hassles.

What happened was their luggage got lost.

The next day however, it was found. When they went to retrieve it, no planes were coming in, so there were no customs, and they were able to get their equipment and tapes through with absolutely no hassles or charges.

God answered their prayer.

Again I thought about perspective.  If my luggage got lost in a foreign country, I would have had a negative perspective, probably panicked, been upset, and frustrated.

When in reality it turned out to be an answer to prayer.   

Change of perspective. There are so many things that can be looked at differently in life.

In Romans 8:28 (TLB) it says;
28 And we know that all that happens to us is working for our good if we love God and are fitting into his plans.
What if I look at everything believing that all that happens is working for good?
It would be incredibly hard. 
Especially during those times where it feels like there is suddenly a giant hole under my feet.
Or as Paul said in Philippians 4:4 – 8 “Always be full of joy in the Lord; I say it again, rejoice! Let everyone see that you are unselfish and considerate in all you do. Remember that the Lord is coming soon. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don’t forget to thank Him for his answers. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.
And now, brothers, as I close this letter, let me say this one more thing: Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about.”
What a great perspective in life I’d have if I just focused and believed on these two verses.
One night, many years ago, I laid awake worried about some things that I believed might transpire the next day. I prayed 911 prayers. I felt like I was supposed to open my Bible. I’d never experienced that before. I turned on my light and opened my Bible, I nearly dropped it when the words on the page said, Do not worry about tomorrow… Matthew 6.
I decided, okay, I won’t worry and went to sleep. I had a good night sleep and guess what? None of the things I worried about happened. Not even close.

If I hadn’t changed my perspective that night I would have dragged myself through the next day from lack of sleep. And for no reason, I might add.
When I change my perspective from worrying to believing and trusting that God has my back, front, and side, worry stops.
When I change my perspective, from wanting things a certain way before I’m happy, to doing my best where ever I find myself in life, contentment comes.
It’s hard to change perspective. It can happen by believing in the Word and letting it renew my mind.
I once had a really tough job, tougher boss. I was just learning verses from the Bible. I had many conversations with this boss that did not bring out his good side. When he would leave, I would tell myself, meditate on the good, pure, holy…it worked. Sometime later, I stopped having such awful conversations with him. We actually built a good working relationship.
I think it came about because I didn’t have bitterness or anger toward him since I focused on the good instead of the bad in the situation.
Now, I’m not saying I’m a pro at this, I mean I am writing this blog and obviously showing I need some work in the area of changing my perspective.
Now though when my daughter comes in the bathroom while I’m showering, I try to remember when the cold air is chilling my back…the moments may be few, so change my perspective, and try to enjoy them. 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

He Chose You To Love You