Where Music Takes Us

I closed the front door behind me, leaving the stacks of papers on my desk and unopened emails in my computer behind. I stuck my ear-buds in and turned on the music in my phone.

I started walking down the hill toward my favorite neighborhood to walk through. I love looking at the houses, the yards, and I love all of the hills.

I finally started to relax after I walked for a few minutes, and focused on the music that played in my ear, instead of on the unending demands that filled my day.  The pressures of unfinished work suddenly didn’t feel so heavy on my shoulders.

I struggled to refrain from singing out loud to one of my favorite songs while I strolled through the neighborhood. Instead, I tried to hum, but then decided, I better not… with the ear buds in, even humming might be pretty loud.

Now, I’m not a bird lover as those close to me know, but on this walk I actually enjoyed watching the birds flitting from tree to tree. They kept my attention as they tweeted and flew from branch to branch. It looked like they were truly enjoying the day.

The songs played and played while I walked the stress off. Soon I was able to just talk to God about the things that were heavy on my mind. And then it was time to go back home and face the work again, yet I had a different frame of mind. I’d listened to music that spoke of God’s love, God’s power, and it had brought me right to the one they were singing about.

Music does that. It brings you places.

The other night we watched a really cute movie that had great background music. Quite a few of the songs were from the Beach Boys which brought a feeling of fun and sun. I remember listening to the Beach Boys or songs from the movie Grease while I waxed my car to get it ready for cruising downtown on the weekend.

Cruising downtown was fun in itself. A person would drive with the windows down no matter how hot, cold, or wet the weather, and music would blare from each of the cars. So now when I hear certain songs from that time, my mind remembers, and it gives me a happy feeling.

A few of my friends and I used to lay out in the hot sun, tanning all day long, drinking Cola’s, and eating chips. We listened to some of our favorite music groups, and sometimes afterward we would dance around singing. Still to this day, I will hear that music, and have to stop with a smile treasuring the memory.

Music does that. It brings us back to moments. The song played at a wedding, a song dedicated to someone loved, a special song at an event.

It can be wonderful.

Psalm 146

Praise the Lord.[a]
Praise the Lord, my soul.
I will praise the Lord all my life;
    I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
Do not put your trust in princes,
    in human beings, who cannot save.
When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
    on that very day their plans come to nothing.
Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob,
    whose hope is in the Lord their God.
He is the Maker of heaven and earth,
    the sea, and everything in them—
    he remains faithful forever.
He upholds the cause of the oppressed
    and gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets prisoners free,
    the Lord gives sight to the blind,
the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down,
    the Lord loves the righteous.
The Lord watches over the foreigner
    and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
    but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.
10 The Lord reigns forever,
    your God, O Zion, for all generations.
Praise the Lord.

There are so many passages about praising God in the book of Psalms.

Just like music we hear from the past, and from special times, can bring us back to a moment, it can also bring us to a place, to a person. It can bring us into the presence of the only True God, before His heavenly throne.
             

             


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

WHAT IF?