The Shepherd


The LORD is my shepherd I shall not want. Psalm 23:1
I remember lying in bed as a young girl trying to memorize the 23rd Psalm. Every night before I went to sleep I worked and worked on memorizing it.
Finally, one day it stuck in my head. I’ve repeated it often and I’ve heard it often since that time.
It’s a very comforting verse, as are quite a few of the Psalms.
Now many years later, I am doing a Bible study on the author of that Psalm, David. And during part of the study I looked up this verse again.
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. Psalm 23:1. I know the LORD is my shepherd. He watches over me, protects, feeds and steers me. I have no doubt about that.
The LORD is my shepherd - very comforting words.
I shall not want.  REALLY?
Okay, if only I could say, I didn’t have a want list. It’s hard in this world, and the way things are in our economy, it can be hard to not have a want list.
I’ve been in times where I didn’t think about the economy and how it affects me and still I had wants.
And now during these tough economical times the list of wants can grow rather quickly. When I have those moments where the wants became something that causes anxiety or envy I grab onto His word.
Life can be hard. But when walking and looking to the Shepherd to guide, comfort and lead we can rest without all the wants causing us anxiety.
Jesus told a parable about a sower who went out to sow his seed.
"A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some fell by the wayside; and it was trampled down, and the birds of the air devoured it. Some fell on rocks; and as soon as it sprang up, it withered away because it lacked moisture. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up with it and choked it. But others fell on good ground, sprang up, and yielded a crop a hundredfold."
When he later, explained the parable to the disciples, he told them the seed is the Word of God.
He explained the seeds that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to  maturity.
It’s so easy for my mind to meditate on the cares of this world. The problem is, it can mess up my faith walk. It’s more important during the times that the cares of this world, seem extreme, for me to spend time focusing on Him.
I try to make it a practice to bring all my thoughts to him and to pray without ceasing. When life gets to tough for me, I call a friend who prays or knows just what to say to encourage me back on my feet.
I firmly believe no person is meant to be on an island. God didn’t go through all the animals he created and bring them in front of Adam, to see if any would be sufficient for his companionship for nothing. And when all the animals were presented and a proper companion wasn’t found, he made Eve.
And the Bible says we are all part of the body of Christ. Each person has something they are gifted at to encourage and help build the believers.
Look how many letters Paul wrote while in captivity in prison. And people went and visited him.
No one is meant to walk their path alone, especially, during the hard times.
The Lord is the shepherd of many not just one or two.
When I read the “shall not want” I realize if that list is messing with my faith or my emotional well being, I need to spend some time to just draw near to him and trust he will give me what is needed.
It may not be the economy that makes your want list grow; it may be it has to do with your health, a relationship, a loved one’s decision, a move. No matter what it is the Bible says, to “Cast your cares upon Him.”
Why?
Because, He cares for you.
Bible verse from NKJ version

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

He Chose You To Love You