Not Worry? How hard is that?

 


I had some time to sit on the beach and stare off into the vast unknown. Did you know just sitting there set me up for the boundaries of the ocean to be removed and taken out to the deep never to return?

Did you also know that sitting there is so peaceful and shows me the power of God who created such a magnificent vast ocean with the beautiful sky above and the sun that rises and sets each day? 

Anxiety and worry, or Peace and relaxation?

I cannot tell you how many times I struggle to NOT WORRY instead of staying in the moment.

About 35 years ago I had a tough situation in my life. Worry filled my mind about what could happen the next day. When I opened my Bible the verse I read was “Do not worry about tomorrow, for today has enough troubles of its own.”

How hard is that?

How hard is it to not worry about things that seem intimidating, scary, or life changing in the future?

In a Bible study I am in, the discussion was on Adam and Eve after they had eaten the forbidden fruit from the tree that was off limits, and they were hiding. God came into the garden and asked, “Where are you?”

I know God knew where they were hiding because He knows and sees all.

So, I believe the question isn’t a “I cannot find you” question, I believe it is a “relational” question.

God is in the garden to hang out and Adam and Eve are hiding.

I experienced this very question the other day.

I prayed about some things that were really troubling me. 

After I prayed, I thought and thought of all the catastrophic things that could happen in those situations I had just prayed about.

The question “Where are you?” came to mind.

My answer – “I am over in Catastrophic vil.”

I had moved from the presence of God, picked up my worry’s and went to Catastrophic Village instead of leaving everything in His hands, trusting Him. I didn’t wait for Him to encourage me. I didn’t wait for direction. I was entertaining the most horrific things that could happen in every situation.

I dragged my stuff back to prayer and the verse about not worrying about tomorrow came to my mind. Today has enough troubles of its own.

I need to focus on today. 

I have learned worrying about tomorrow usually is just a bunch of horrific false lies my imagination conjures up. It doesn’t give direction. It doesn’t guide. And worrying doesn’t know anything.

So, as I sat and stared at the ocean I chose peace and relaxation. I worked hard to put what is happening into perspective. What can I do today. What can I not do today? And what can I do nothing about? 

I can trust God and believe He’s got this and will give me what I need for what is ahead. 

I find I can enjoy moments more when I do let go and fight hard to not worry about the unknown that is ahead and trust Him.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

He Chose You To Love You