Consider Who?

Luke 12:24-25

"Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than the birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?" (NIV)

If there is one thing I do not like is ravens, blackbirds, or crows. 

The first word that comes to my mind is "mean". Other words for them is scary and vicious. 

Years ago I lived in a neighborhood where there was the battle between the ravens or crows and the people who lived there. 

The block was set up uniquely where the road encircled an island of homes. The road was the same length as a track around a football field. It was convenient to go for a quick run or walk with a neighbor instead of hitting the track at the local school. 

The blackbirds did not appreciate the people who made it a habit to use the road for their daily activities. They were big and loud, mean birds. 

Some sat up high, perched on a lightpost, and cawed very loud when a person went past. 

Others swooped down in front of the walker or runner from one post to another. Sometimes you could almost feel the feathers of their wings when they flew past. 

Sometimes they would actually swoop down and go for the head of someone walking or running by. Many started wearing hats to protect themselves. 

One day I found myself crouched down as one of those black bullies came after me. My neighbor moved quick to grab a broom to swat that beast away from me. 

Gardening became a battle too. The birds would sit on the gutters of roofs or branches of the trees making obnoxious noises overhead and follow a person around the yard. They do not have a beautiful chirping noise as others birds do. It would cause a person to be nervous that the bird would soon swoop down and attack. 

In the verse above, Jesus is speaking the words to CONSIDER the ravens! I of course only think of pesky, annoying, and threatening animals. 

Yet, Jesus cares for them. He feeds them. 

And Jesus says we are MUCH more valuable than birds. 

You know there are some birds that are super sweet sounding. 

We have quite a few of them whose songs fill the air each morning and throughout the day. It is a pleasure to sit outside and listen to them sing. 

I can see Jesus making sure they are fed. However, He doesn't just care for the birds that make life sweet. He feeds the pest too. 

And we are more valuable. 

I was in a situation recently that I felt led to give to someone who made those big, ferocious, black, cawing birds seem like angels to say the least. 

I didn't want to give to this person. The person had taken enough from me. 

I begrudgingly put the things together to give to that person after my friend encouraged "Jonah" to go do what I felt led to do. 

They had a need and I had the means to take care of it for my "enemy".

Jonah was a man sent to warn his enemy God was going to overturn them because of how they lived. Jonah knew if they repented God would bless his enemy and not destroy his enemy. He knew God's heart toward people. 

I do too.

I knew this was a time this person needed to see the goodness of God. 

I however did not want to be the messenger. 

I wanted someone else to do it.

I ended up doing it. Not cheerfully. It wasn't about me though. 

It was about what Jesus was doing in a person's life and no matter how I felt about it, I was one of the messengers.  

I have been a witness of seeing a changed heart as others have brought messages they were called to bring to that person. I have seen a heart turned to God. 

People are valuable to God. Even those that are our enemies. He takes care of them. He is the one who gave His life for each of is so we can be with Him forever. 

It is about Him.

Jesus loves my enemies. Jesus values my enemies. Jesus died on the cross for the sins of my enemy. 

Jesus loves me and I may be someone's enemy. He values me. He died on the cross for my sins. 

Just so YOU know, Jesus loves you!

He cares for the RAVENS! 

He values you above the birds in the air. He cares for YOU!

He died for all of your sins. He paid the price  

No matter what, God really cares for you and me and values us. 

YOU are VALUABLE!

You may not FEEL valuable to anyone or even think of yourself as valuable. I am here to tell you that you are valuable. 

Sometimes that can be so very hard to believe, however, it is true.

You are valuable. 

Jesus says you are worth more than the birds that fly in the air. He gave His life for you. 

I pray you will walk in the true value that comes from the one who loves you more than any person on this earth ever could love you. 

If there are any thoughts, actions, or lies in your head telling you that this is not true, I would say check out the story of the thief on the cross. 

It was not his finest hour when he talked to Jesus hanging there on the cross. There wasn't anything he could say or do to make himself look or be any better. The guy was nailed on a cross right next to Jesus and Jesus said he would be joining him in heaven. 

Why? Cause Jesus cares for all of us people. All of us.

And He definetely cares for you!








Comments

Sister said…
Love reading your posts, inspiring 👏 ❤️ 🙌 💕
Carol Wilson said…
Meaningful message, Linda. I have a couple of crow stories, too. What a great reminder that Jesus speaks about ravens. Your words will linger in my mind for a while, I'm sure.
Linda Reinhardt said…
Would love to hear your stories, Carol. ❤

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

He Chose You To Love You