In The Boat

 


Matthew 14:25 – 31

“25…Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified, in their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”

27 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage, I am here!”

28 Then Peter called out to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”

29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.

The amazing thing about this story is that Peter then swung his leg over the railing, and put his foot ON the water. Not in, but on.  There were strong winds and heavy waves, yet Peter swung his foot over the boat and started walking to Jesus.

It amazes me for one that Peter asked to walk on the water, for two that when Jesus said come, Peter swung over the railing and slipped onto the water. 

So many, many times I have gone over and over the part where Peter takes his eyes off Jesus and instead puts his eyes on the storm then sinks. I love that when Peter calls out Jesus immediately puts His hand out for Peter.

However, there is a big point here that I cannot miss. Jesus said come, and Peter swung his leg over the railing of the boat and put his foot on the water.

Peter’s faith at that moment is astounding. He had just returned from his own mission trip where he touched people’s lives. He had just participated in passing out food to thousands of people from 2 fish and a loaf of bread, and there was left over bread and fish. Peter now saw his Lord walking on water, and he wanted to join him there too.

I can only imagine the disciples on the boat when they listened to the interaction between Peter and Jesus. I can only imagine their eyebrows going up high and their expressions on their faces as they watched Peter swing his leg over that railing.

Did they try to stop him?

Did they cheer him on?

Were they afraid he would just splash into the water?

Or did they hope he could do it, and maybe they could too?

My husband would be the one on the boat to swing his leg over the railing to walk on the water. He would ask Jesus the impossible and then believe it could be done. There is usually no stopping him from stepping out in faith even in the scariest of situations.  I have often stood there with at least one of those questions going through my mind.

In watching his faith over the years, it has encouraged me to swing my leg over the railing and step out on waters that look overwhelmingly scary.

I can imagine the excitement of the others on the boat. I can imagine the courage it gave them watching their friend, to step out in faith and be right with Jesus IN the midst of the storm.

When Peter did sink, they had front row seats to see Jesus’ response. They watched Jesus put his hand out and pull Peter up. They heard Jesus words and heard Jesus ask Peter, why did you doubt?

They got a clear visual of Jesus calling someone out into the storm and sticking right with the person the entire time. They clearly saw that even when the storm is overwhelming and a person’s faith makes them sink, Jesus is still standing on the water. Jesus still had Peter’s back.

They didn’t watch Jesus scoff at Peter and walk away from him when Peter sunk. No, they watched Jesus immediately be there for Peter and Jesus then stayed close to Peter. Jesus walked him through the storm.

I honestly think Peter learned Jesus had his back even when his faith failed.

Maybe that is why when he denied Jesus he went and cried, instead of taking his life like Judas. Maybe that is why when he heard Jesus wasn’t in the grave, he raced John to the grave to see for himself, instead of hiding in shame. Maybe that is why when Peter was on the boat and Jesus was on the shore that one early morning after Jesus’ resurrection, Peter ripped off his outer garments, jumped out of the boat, and swam to Jesus to be with him.

I think Peter learned that Jesus had his back even when Peter failed.

I know for myself when I have watched my husband step out in faith, many storms have hit him and knocked him down, but I have seen God pull him through and provide everything needed to get him to where he needs to go.

It isn’t always a pretty picture, but it is always a beautiful story in the end.

As I watch from the security of the boat, I get to see God work in a person’s life. I get to see God have his back when it looks like there is no hope.

It encourages me to step out of the boat when Jesus says come. When storms blow in, I can remember the stories I have read, and the stories I have seen of those who have gone on before me in faith. I know the answer when I am sinking, is simply to call out, “Jesus, help!”

I know Jesus has my back when I fail. I know I don’t have to hide in shame but can boldly go to the throne of grace and confess my failures.

Faith in Jesus, not in me, or what I say or do, but simple, faith in what He will or can do.

Who are you watching from the security of your boat?

Are you encouraged to swing that leg over and step out in faith?

Who do you think gets the opportunity to watch you in your own walk of faith?

No matter, it isn’t about Peter, me, or you, but it is about what Jesus will do in our walk of faith.

“Save me, Lord!” he shouted.

31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him.”

Wherever you are, whatever you are going through, Peter’s story reminds us that Jesus has our back when we step out in faith to be with Him. When we are afraid and call out, the storm may not disappear, but Jesus doesn’t either.

When people are watching others faith walk from the security of the boat it gives encouragment and hope for them to step out in faith themselves. 

Also, sometimes the wind and the waves are whirling around out of control, it can be so dark and scary. He is there. I know I don’t have to be all that, brave, and confident, it is okay if I am completely unnerved. When I cry out, I know He will get me. Sometimes it is during the storm that we have those special moments with Jesus.

When no one can really do anything at all to solve the problem. When a person feels so alone because the storm like a tsunami crashed in and flooded right through everything that was once stable and secure. There is no stopping the tsunami. Do like Peter did and call for help.

“Help!” Peter cried out in his storm. Immediately Jesus reached out his hand for him and pulled him up. The storm still raged around them, but he walked with Peter through it.

Lonely, dark, wind filled nights with the waters raging against a person, holding on to Jesus, a person WALKS THROUGH the storm to safety. A person on their own, sinks when the storm is too much for them.

The storms are many and can be so scary.

We have many unpredictable storms going on right now.

Don’t sink.

If you do…reach up your hand.

Call out for HIS help.

Jesus is there to grab your hand.

He may tell that storm to stop now.

Or He may walk with you right through that storm.

1.       Mark 4:35 -36 NIV

2.       Matthew 14:25-31 NLT














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

He Chose You To Love You