Turning Around At The Roadblocks

Paul’s Vision of the Man of Macedonia

6 Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. 7 When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to. 8 So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. 9 During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” 10 After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.

Packed and ready to go to our friends beach house, we got in the car with plans to go down the Oregon coast side, and stop at a few other beaches on our way there.

The rain came down in huge splatters on our windshield and the wipers were on high. Traffic was slowed down a bit. We had just come out of a week of snow and now we were back to our Pacific NorthWest weather.

When we were almost to the beach we came up to a line of stopped traffic. After a few minutes we noticed the cars coming in the opposite direction were those that had pulled out of the line and turned around. We stopped one of the cars and asked them what was up? We were told a tree was down across the road and it would be awhile before it was cleared.

So we turned around and went back up the highway to take another route to the beach. Believe it or not...the same thing happened on that highway. A tree fell across the road.

Discouraged we turned around again. It was frustrating, because the only other way we knew of to get to the beach house, was to go all the way back to where we started, close to home, and go on up the WA side.

We stopped at an espresso stand before going back, and asked if the employee if she knew another way to get us where we were going. She did!

I have to admit I was a bit hesitant to believe the directions she gave us would lead us to our destination. I've been in the situation countless times, where I get directions, and I drive and drive and do not get to my goal.
But...we went anyway, with hopes we would get there safe and sound.

And then we actually ended up having a blast!

Not only was the scenery incredible but we came across an Elk reserve which was amazing to see.

We ended up being seriously sick of being in the car though. What was supposed to be a couple hour drive had turned into four. Finally, we reached our favorite little town which is just a half hour out from our friends cabin.

The river waves were like it was the Pacific Ocean. And it was very gray, rainy, and windy!

We stopped to eat, and had to push through the wind to get to the door of the restaurant. I asked the girl what was up? She informed me of the storm warnings for the next two days. Possible 85 mph winds, flooding, and that they possibly may shut the bridge that I so desperately hate to go over. Then she went on to tell me about a semi that had tipped over because of high winds on the bridge  during  a previous storm.
I didn't need to hear this. That bridge is scary enough on a good day.

Well, we decided, it would be better to just go home, since there was the chance of flooding, and high winds, we wouldn't be able to do much during the storm. We didn't come to the beach to just sit inside.
While on our way back we decided we would figure out how to have fun around home. So we did, and we had a great weekend. Different, but fun just the same.

Sometimes, that's just how life is. We have plans that are good. But for some reason no matter what we do our path is blocked and we aren't able to do them.

In the Bible, Paul talks about his plans to go to  Asia, but he couldn't because he was told not to do it.
So, he didn't quit ministering, he just ministered where he could, and where he was led.

Sometimes, although disappointing, instead of going and doing a good plan, we are to do something else. It doesn't mean it will always be like that, or a person can't go do there plans later, it just sometimes means God has a different direction for a person to go.

When I first quit work at an office, to work at home on building a writing career I had plans on how I was going to reach my goal to become a published author, and I had lots of them. I didn't do those plans the way I wanted to, but I did reach a few of my goals, and that was to write books, and to be a published author.

With college in mind, instead I went to a hands on college, working side by side much more experienced writers, who basically took my hand and walked me through the whole publishing experience. I learned to love to do editing on other peoples work, although it was something I hated to do previously. I never would have thought in a million years I would be asked to edit another persons book.

Also, my plans for building any sort of platform didn't include speaking in public and/or writing a blog.

But yet, although I didn't go the way I planned to go, as I reach my goals in writing, I realize God has build a really good foundation for my career, and He set it up in a way that is so much better than I would have.

Maybe right now, your up against a roadblock, whether it be in a career move, relationship, decisions, finances...maybe it was put in front of you by God. And He just wants you to stop and listen to the direction He has for you.

Instead of trying to move the roadblock, I suggest turning away from it, and turn to God with a listening ear.

Where is He wanting you to go?

What is He wanting you to do?

Despite the road blocks I've encountered. The path I've been on the last twelve years, all fit, to make the pieces of the puzzle, come together to form a pretty nice picture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

Unbelief moments.