ASK!

Bended knees, folded hands, desperate pleas and words of praise, day after day. Upon rising, and then going into the day, time is spent looking for the answer to that conversation with God.

Before eyes close at night, reflecting of the time that passed, thanking God for the blessings, yet wondering, where is the answer to that prayer I've prayed about for so long?
Day is done, ended with another plea and words of praise.

Next day bended knee…
Sometimes it can be many years before an answer to prayer comes through. And when it does, I've always been able to look back and see that God had been in the process of answering my prayer all along. I just didn't see it, because I wanted the answer now.

There are times when my daughter and her friends, will bring me something to fix, or ask me to do something. And while I’m in the process of answering their request…they will continue to ask me about it. I will continually say, just a minute or almost done, or I need to do this first…they wait…and then they are back again asking about whatever it is I’m doing for them. Again, I will have to go through the ritual of saying, just a minute, or I’m almost done, or I need to do this first.
I’m sometimes just like that in my relationship with God.

There are times when things overwhelm my daughter and she is in the process of learning how to cope with different things in life. I will spend time teaching her how to problem solve, or to really look at how big the situation is and how to cope with it.
It’s like that sometimes in my relationship with God.

Then there are the times when my daughter just snuggles up on my lap and just wants to hang with me. Wants some time to talk with me, get extra hugs, and extra kisses.
It’s like that sometimes in my relationship with God.

There are times when my daughter does not like the answers I give her and well…we have to work through it.
It’s like that sometimes in my relationship with God.

And sometimes in my relationship with God - there are times I get discouraged and wonder how many times do I have to pray about this and isn't God sick of hearing this already? He’s heard me pray about this how many times?
Here is a verse that really encouraged me about praying to God about the same thing, over and over again, and sometimes for years and years. Please note, sometimes God just plain says NO! But if He hasn't well then, it’s a waiting period, which usually ends up being a “shaping me” stage of my life, or a “preparing me” stage of my life, or “stretching me” stage of my life and honestly, yuk, those stages are hard and when a person is in a relationship with God…they happen.

Luke 11:5 – 10 NIV
“Then he said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.’

Then the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’ I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man’s boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs. So I say to you; Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who ask receives, he who seeks finds and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

God loves us way more than we could ever love our children, or even ourselves. So what can I say about these verses?…KEEP ASKING, KEEP KNOCKING!!!

And then wait, listen, and see what His answer is to you.

Comments

Linda,

Thank you for posting ASK! I have read, heard and quoted these verses many, many times. What stood out to me as I read Luke was that it wasn't because of their friendship the man caved in and gave him what he wanted. It was because of the neighbors boldness. The nerve! The desperation! The necessity! "Hey," the neighbor said, "I'm in a predicament I don't have the resources for and I need help. Do you have something to help me with?" I've been asking God for help with my youngest son. He needs a network of people to help him become the man he is meant to be. I don't have everything it takes. I can only ask others around me that have what he needs to help us. But I grow weary in searching and knocking and asking. The verse tells me to ask boldly, with confidence, knowing that God has what my son needs. 1 John 5:14-15 tells us that "we have confidence in approaching God: if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us-whatever we ask-we know that we have what we asked of him." You see, it's God's will that my son grow into a responsible, hard working man, and when I ask anything according to His will, he listens, he acts and provides what ever is necessary to see it through to the end. Oh, I could go on but the paraphrased version is that I will ask God to do things for my son out of the ordinary, above and beyond, and will watch my son find what he needs. In the end God is glorified, in Taylor, in those who help him succeed and in me knowing that the Father answered a cry! You have encouraged a weary mother by speaking Gods word and sharing your personal insight. I love you and I love Gods ways of getting us through!

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

He Chose You To Love You