Believe The Report Or Believe and Don't Be Afraid?

When I opened my Bible today my eyes fell on some words I had underlined, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.” Then I read the entire sentence. “Ignoring what they said, Jesus told the synagogue ruler, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.”
Who did Jesus ignore I wondered?
When I reread the passage I realized it was the story of Jesus walking with Jairus to his home because Jairus’s daughter was dying. Jairus had pleaded earnestly to Jesus, to please come to his home and lay hands on his daughter, so that she will be healed and live.
So Jesus, his disciples and Jairus are on their way to Jairus home. Jairus is bringing home the answer to his little girl’s illness. He knows if Jesus lays his hands on her, his little girl will be fine.
But, then they are interrupted.
A woman in the crowd had touched the hem of Jesus garment and received healing. Jesus stopped wanting to know who touched his garment. His disciples were like, we’re in a crowd anybody could have touched your garment. Still, Jesus stopped and took time to interact with the woman in an encouraging way.
I wonder? How did Jairus feel waiting for Jesus to stop talking to her so his little girl could get the help SHE needed. For a moment did it feel as though Jesus was attentive to Jairus?
Then WHILE Jesus was still speaking to this woman some men came from Jairus house and let Jairus know his daughter was dead.
I wonder if Jairus shoulders dropped a bit and if his knees went weak. Was he frustrated at the interruption that came from the woman? I mean he pleaded earnestly to Jesus because his daughter was dying. He knew if he got Jesus to his little girl she would be okay. Then this woman went and touched Jesus garment.
But then I wonder, if he even had time for all of that because, it said Jesus ignored what the men from Jairus house said and told him not to be afraid, just believe. Jesus was right back to Jairus side and continued walking to the house.
Jesus made everyone stay back except a selected few. When he entered Jairus house the people laughed at what Jesus said about the girl. He sent them out and then he held the little girls hands and told her to get up.
She did.
There are times in everyone’s life where we know God is there with us. He is working for us. We can feel His strength, His presence. And then…suddenly a big hole is under our feet. It seems there is no solid ground.
“Don’t be afraid, just believe.”
How on earth do you do that? How do you say okay, I’m going to believe in you Jesus because, you told me to, even though, right now at this very minute I just got news that took the air right out of me, I feel all alone and I just want to curl into a ball and…
And I will be honest, it is hard to not listen to the bad report, or believe the bad thing going on in front of my eyes sometimes, but…the truth is, Jesus promises to never leave or forsake us. He will be with us always. It’s those times that are the times, to choose to believe, all of Jesus promises for us.
The Bible says no weapon formed against us shall prosper. If God is for us, who can be against us?
As hard as it can be sometimes, in the darkest, loneliest moments of our life, there is a choice to, not be afraid, but to believe.

Comments

Sojourner said…
I am so thankful you were listening to Him and wrote this Linda ... Love you.
Linda Reinhardt said…
Oh Faye-Marie! I know, you know, He is with you. I pray He heals you quickly so you can go home. Lots of love and hugs!
Unknown said…
I needed this reminder today. Thanks for the perspective.

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

Not Worry? How hard is that?

WHAT IF?