Dark


January can either be a long, dark, boring month after all of the celebrating from Thanksgiving to New Years.  Or January can be a month probably every introvert enjoys, relaxing, refreshing, and renewing. 

The one thing that seems consistent in January is; it is dark. They say it is a time where the days start to stay light longer, but it doesn't feel that way to me. It seems dark and the days are short. 

Especially after people start taking down their Christmas lights. 

When daylight savings time was over, it was quite an adjustment to the darkness that came earlier each day. For a season I can't watch the sunsets, while walking the dogs, after dinner. 

The street lights are on, and the porch light is needed in order to see to unlock the front door. 

Instead of natural light the lamps must go on so we can see without stubbing our toes or bumping into furniture.

Because of that it really was a clear visual for me when I read Matthew 5: 15-16 ESV -“15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”

Of course, I am going to put my lamps in a place they light up the house so I can see what I am doing. I am not going to take one of my lamps and put it under a basket. 

Jesus teaches us to let our own personal light shine so others can see our good works. Those good works give glory to God in heaven.

No one needs to be reminded that there is a lot of darkness in our world. There are many different struggles happening all over the world right now.

My family has experienced dark times. When someone brings light into my life in those dark moments. My thoughts are directed to the goodness of God.

Many years ago, I experienced some great losses in my life causing a lot of emotional pain. My neighbor brought me over some big, beautiful strawberries that tasted so sweet. She also brought over a book of encouragement for me to read. I remember I asked her, “Where is God?”

She gave me a loving smile, “He’s here.”

And I knew she was right. Her caring presence helped me to see that God was there. God was there to comfort me. He even brought someone over to show me that.

At times, when there is a tragedy or a special moment, people gather and light candles. They either have moments of silence or they sing songs.

One Christmas eve we were at a candlelight service. We had our foster son with us who had experienced more challenging times in his short life than I have in my entire life. As we lit the candles that night, he sat on my husband’s lap. The room was dark except for the lit candles all over the room. I looked over at that little boy, and he was the only one not holding a candle, but the light of the candles surrounded him.

What an incredible picture to see that boy who suffered so much darkness surrounded by light like a protective shield. 

Today, I hope I let my light shine, by doing good works that glorify God.

I know it doesn’t have to be a bunch of hard things, because I knew there was a God in heaven looking out for me, when someone brought me a strawberry.

I hope the shining lights, from other people, surround you, and you will know there is a God in heaven that really loves you.


 



 

Comments

Sister said…
Good read and inspirational

Melody said…
So beautiful, Linda. We all have the opportunity to take strawberries to someone else, we must make certain to not miss the opportunity. I love you.
Linda Reinhardt said…
Very true Melody. I love you back. 😍

Popular posts from this blog

Let Love Shine

He Chose You To Love You

WHAT IF?